Preview 30 seconds to 90 seconds max. Decide if this book is what you want to read.
Postview 6 to 12 minutes long, build curiosity, check or adjust your purpose form questions

Also, in CD 4, track 6, MR Scheele mentioned that out of 10 books that are photoread and post-viewed, perhaps only 2 are useful for my purpose. It sounds to me like I don't really absorb the material for the 10 books I photoread but only the 2 books that I choose to focus on?

No that means only two books will actually address what you want to know and the other 8 are a waste of time for your needs and PhotoReading has helped you identify those books. If it takes you 4 hours to read each of those 8 books and you find nothing that really satisfies your purpose that's 24 hours of your time gone. Instead you can get what you want from 2 books and even if it takes 4 hours with each of those books you've saved yourself 24 hours by PhotoReading and dumping the books that don't actually satisfy your purpose.

Beauty of PhotoReading is, if you have another purpose and one of those other books address that, you can be drawn to that book to activate later. It's absorbed, and not in the working memory until you activate.

PhotoReading teaches PhotoReading system. Syntopic reading is one way you can use PhotoReading for research writing. [thesis, dissertation, presentations and talks]

Analytical reading is one form of reading it's slowest form of reading on the reading scale. On the other end you have PhotoReading. The activation techniques use reading methods that fall between these two points.

Postviewing use, Rhythmic perusal, skittering or even traditional reading for periods at least. Save analytical reading for last.

Read the chapter on Activation in your PhotoReading book for more on the types of reading.

Alex